Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ariel Gore's How to Trip.

I am not a reader of books on the art of writing. I find them difficult to get into and usually quit before I give them a fair chance. So, in having to have read many of them in the course of getting my bachelors in writing I wasn't completely excited to read another one. Ms. Gore surprised me though, her short and breezy book seemed just what I was looking for at this point in my life. It is a guide for me, or any other writer, looking to be published, but more importantly, for the first time.

Gore uses her experiences as well as those of others to become a kind of friend to the reader and thus develops this relationship with you that feels like an old friend who has a lot of experience in the writing universe.  She let's us know that launching a writing career is a scary, but is no doubt rewarding. Gore's encouragement and practical advice would seem to inspire any kind of writer. It did me, and like I said, I usually don't take well to such books.

For the most part though, I really enjoyed this read. There is a nice mix of advice, things she has found in her experiences, things she has found work for the majority of people. Her friendship relationship that she develops with you also allows this advice to come off as quirky and humble, rather than the stuck-up writer I might have taken this kind of advice to be had it been coming from anyone else.

What is most impressive about the book to me though is that Ms. Gore figured out a way to get her heroes to reveal their secrets to a bunch of hopefuls that . It’s a grand idea and it adds a lot of interesting insight from many different viewpoints. These all confirm what I hoped all along, that there is no one right way to make it happen, which means there isn't necessarily a wrong way to do it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment