Monday, November 22, 2010

The Video Diaries...

This post is purely to comment on the videos we watched in class on November 16th.

We shall begin at the beginning with Robin Becker:

I had of course heard of her big novel being published this past spring with 'Brains', and was eager to hear her thoughts on the publishing world and such things. To hear her say she completed the novel and wrote a good number of agents ( at least 70) before choosing Janet Reid (who I believe I follow on this blog). That she said she was lucky enough to have the zombie craze happening when she wrote her book took back my thoughts that she might have been trying to capitalize on the current craze. I also enjoyed the fact she was rather adamant about keeping the focus on story rather than form, in which she has previously been more concerned with. Also, the bit about the argument between story and good writing was rather interesting. I completely agree that you get better as you write more, and that nothing can top a good story, that the story is what grabs your readers and keeps them reading. As most of these professors gave the same advice, the undergraduate time a time for practice, practice and afterwards the writing you do may be better for publishing. I have no doubt they know what they are talking about, I just don't want to believe it.

Next was Mr. Spitzer:

He again emphasized the idea of not getting to serious about publishing until he was in graduate school. But he did make many good and positive points in saying to not be afraid of their reactions and that simultaneous submissions are important for a student writer. That after being published a few times and kind of earning a name for yourself you tend to play more by the rules, but that students should no doubt act like machines and send out to as many publications as they can and no matter what is going on in your publishing life that you should always be working on something.

And then Mr. Gary Powell:

Though I have never had him as an instructor I have heard the stories of how he can be a tad snobby, and though I could see this through his screen persona I rather enjoyed his thoughts on the publishing world. In a nutshell, he confirmed what I always had suspicions of in the book world. though I wanted to believe it was more high-class than the film industry is with the major releases it seems this is not the truth and those novels with the most selling power are not necessarily the best written. Sounds a tad juvenile and obvious now that it's been pointed out to me, but nonetheless I was glad to hear this from a well-educated man. Powell discussed his dealings with editors and the more formulaic side of the publishing world at the moment.he did briefly talk about an "indie" publishing movement, much like the indie films and how he even still had trouble in appealing to them as his work isn't commercial enough for the big publishers yet not quirky enough for the small ones. He said he didn't like to brag too much on himself but ended up giving those exact implications. Thus telling us a little that he may even think he might be a little higher than having his things grace the eyes of those less intelligent than he. Oh well, he did give us an insight on the business of the publishing company.

And last but not least, Dr. Vanderslice...

First things first: prepare to be rejected. I enjoyed and always do Mr. Vanderslice's thoughts on things and this was no exception. Especially when he discussed that he always saw himself writing novels, and how much he enjoys the commitment a novel requires. It is the field I am most interested in and hear him discuss those aspects of the publishing world were most insightful and helpful to me. I also appreciated the advice he gave on how to keep track of what you had sent out and to who and when. It was quite helpful and gave me a system to I can implement for my own writing. His advice about having to be stubborn and have no fear was much the same as the other professors. But his addition of asking the question; why do this if you can't face rejection? Was a real eye-opener. That to be a writer one must live with uncertainty and disappointment, but that no matter these things the writing will always continue and that is all that truly matters.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment